February 12, 2010

Five Months

We’ve been married five months today. I used to be in wonderment at how new mothers have the ability to relay, at any given moment, exactly how many months and weeks and days old their new baby is, and how the mental calculations could be made so quickly. Now, however, I’m finding that remembering important dates and events such as a wedding takes virtually no effort. The 12th of every month now seems to hold a brand new significance, and it pains me not to do calculations of my own. I love that I’m still asked weekly how married life is. I love how so many people think that I’ve grown used to it, that I’m stuck in the routine of chores and wifely duties, that perhaps I’ve tired of my husband’s little quirks and habits. But the truth is, dear readers, that we have only been married five months. I still delight in the things that are presumed ordinary. I still love making our bed in the morning, love glancing over our wedding pictures, love folding laundry and buying milk, twisting my ring about my finger and marveling at the freshness of everything. I can’t quite explain it ... it’s a terrific quandary that it all could be so pleasantly familiar and yet surprising new. I have no reason to believe that it will always be this way, and perhaps the chores will grow dull, but until then I shall be satisfied in the perplexity of being newly acquainted with married life, and still altogether at ease.

Things we’ve accomplished within the past month:

  • eradication of our Christmas tree (BEFORE February)
  • replacement of the CV joints in Mark’s car (do-it-yourself)
  • the discovery of a fantastic pasta sauce (Cucina Antica Vodka)
  • the obliteration of the mildew on the bathtub (yeah....)
  • yurt: n: a circular domed tent of skins or felt stretched over a collapsible lattice framework and used by pastoral peoples of Asia.
  • the taking of a pregnancy test (for the sheer purpose of easing my mind)
  • the completion of three model airplanes (WWII)
  • the purchase of sleeping bags (for yurting, of course)
  • the reading of five of Shakespeare’s comedies (Alas, ‘twas merry)
  • excellent additions to our VHS collection (Robin Hood, etc.)
  • treating ourselves to one grocery shopping spree at New Seasons (oh my...)
  • the ability to say “no” to some things, and “yes” to many

If nothing in our married routine ever achieved a greater capacity of excitement than these, I would still be a happy wife. I find considerable measures of bliss in the everyday, and am learning about simple joys, simple moments, simple fun. And I’ve come to realize that there are few things more fun than being just five months married.

1 comment:

  1. i love reading your posts. it makes me appreciate life in a fuller sense. hugs.

    ReplyDelete